Born in Massillon, OH, “Dr. Fred” grew up in Altoona, was an Eagle Scout, and a National Honor Society graduate of BGHS in 1970. He then graduated from Penn State in 1974 (B.S. Biology), and in 1978 from PA College of Optometry via military scholarship.
Dr. Fred’s professional career began as a Captain in the US Army where he earned the Army Commendation Medal. He returned to Altoona, joined Dr. Arnold Berman in private practice and upon Dr. Berman’s retirement in 1985, had his own office in downtown Altoona until merging with Dr. Satryan to form Mountain View Eye Associates in 1998.
Now in his 40th year of practice, Dr. Fred has a passion for what he does. He loves both people and technology- always employing kindness, and attention to detail. His special clinical interests include:
- Those with complicated vision and health conditions.
- Contact lens fitting and problem solving.
- Specialty contact lenses for keratoconus, bifocals, corneal transplants, and damaged eyes.
- Glaucoma- Diagnosis and management.
- Macular Degeneration- Diagnosis and management.
- Dry Eye Disease- Diagnosis and management
- Cataract- Diagnosis and management
- Diabetic Eye Disease- Diagnosis and management.
Dr. Fred allows one hour for each “full eye exam” patient, to insure proper evaluation, treatment, and patient education.
He has been voted by Altoona Mirror readers a “HOMETOWN FAVORITE OPTOMETRIST” finalist 11 times since 2002, winning the award 6 times- most recently 2017, and is in the HOMETOWN FAVORITE HALL OF FAME.
Dr. Fred is married to Linda Burns of Rochester, NY. They are the parents of six children and 2 grandchildren. They live in Altoona- near Penn State Altoona Campus. Dr. Fred’s hobbies are personal fitness (especially running-later in 2018 he will be running the Pike’s Peak Ascent in Colorado), reading, watching sports, listening to music, and cutting the grass.